Lake Tahoe weather: Light, wintry precipitation possible today
December 24, 2017
There is a slight chance of winter precipitation today in the forecast for Lake Tahoe, according to the National Weather Service.
While the best chance for accumulation will be near the Oregon border, light flurries could make their way as far south as the Lake Tahoe Basin by late afternoon and Sunday evening, according to a special weather statement. Any precipitation in the basin would be very light.
“Dry air near the surface should limit the amount of precipitation, but higher elevations may see a light dusting of snow,” states NWS.
A weak area of low pressure will pass through the region on Sunday bringing the possibility of very light precip to areas north of a line from Portola to Lovelock. Make sure to check road conditions before heading out. Happy Holidays! #NVWx #CAWx
— NWS Reno (@NWSReno) December 24, 2017
Today the avalanche danger is: https://t.co/5VxXNtxITd
— Sierra Avy Center (@sierraavalanche) December 24, 2017
South Lake Tahoe has a 10 percent chance of precipitation Sunday. That increases to 20 percent Sunday evening. The high temperature is expected to reach 48 degrees, while the low will be 30 degrees.
The system could briefly impact travel over higher passes, including Interstate 70. NWS notes that while this is a “very weak system,” travelers should check road condition before heading out.
Before long road trips, it's important to check the forecast at https://t.co/VyWINDBEpn so you know what you're driving into. Also, be sure to prepare your vehicle for the journey ahead – https://t.co/aq7GVXlzux. #WeatherReady #HolidayTravel pic.twitter.com/DrH9I2iy8d
— NWS (@NWS) December 23, 2017
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Weather
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region
- Wildfires to cause lower air quality in Lake Tahoe region, Sierra Nevada
- Wildfire smoke fills Lake Tahoe Basin, possible improvement coming Wednesday afternoon
- Smoke free? Clear, sunny conditions in forecast for Lake Tahoe region
- Wildfire smoke triggers air quality alert in Lake Tahoe region
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Freeway from Carson City to Reno to close Nov. 17-18
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- Heavenly Mountain Resort opens for the 2018-19 season