Snow forces Sierra-at-Tahoe to postpone Olympian celebration
March 1, 2018
Celebrating South Shore’s Olympians will have to wait.
With feet of snow expected in the next couple of days, the day-long celebration of Tahoe Olympians Jamie Anderson, Maddie Bowman, Hannah Teter and Kyle Smaine has been postponed.
The event will be rescheduled "when it can get the attention it deserves," said Sierra-at-Tahoe communications manager Thea Hardy. The event, which is being organized by Sierra, will likely be rescheduled for late March or possibly early April, Hardy said.
The largest storm this winter is expected to dump a couple feet of snow at the lake level and will make travel and attending the celebration more difficult.
Anderson made Olympic history in the recent games by taking gold in women’s snowboard slopestyle, an event she also won during the 2014 Winter Games. She also won silver in big air in South Korea.
Bowman, who won the gold medal in the ski halfpipe during the 2014 Winter Games, was unable to defend her spot atop the sport. She finished 11th in the recent games.
Recommended Stories For You
Teter won gold in 2006 in Torino, Italy and silver in 2010 in Vancouver, Canada in snowboard halfpipe. She came up short in her attempt to qualify for the 2018 games.
Smaine also came up short despite a victory in the men’s ski halfpipe at the U.S. Grand Prix at Mammoth Mountain — the final qualifying event before the games in PyeongChang, South Korea.
Trending In: Weather
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region
- Wildfires to cause lower air quality in Lake Tahoe region, Sierra Nevada
- Wildfire smoke fills Lake Tahoe Basin, possible improvement coming Wednesday afternoon
- Wildfire smoke triggers air quality alert in Lake Tahoe region
- Smoke free? Clear, sunny conditions in forecast for Lake Tahoe region
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- What’s new for the 2018-19 ski season at Lake Tahoe’s downhill resorts
- Election impacts on Lake Tahoe real estate
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project