Wildfire smoke fills Lake Tahoe Basin, possible improvement coming Wednesday afternoon
August 1, 2018
The Tahoe Basin is being inundated with smoke and haze this morning, however, some relief could be coming later today.
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a special statement for the greater region warning of poor air quality stemming from a number of wildfires producing thick smoke.
Those include the massive Carr Fire burning near Redding and the Ferguson Fire burning near Yosemite National Park, as well as the Perry Fire near Pyramid Lake, Whaleback Fire in Lassen County, and the Lions Fire near Mammoth Lakes.
While air quality tends to be worse closer to those fires, the Sierra and western Nevada will experience diminished air quality to some degree, according to the service.
However, some improvement in air quality is possible later this afternoon as winds increase. Those winds, according to the weather service, may help mix pollutants out of some valley locations.
Recommended Stories For You
More breezy conditions are possible over the weekend, bringing additional relief.
The service recommends avoiding prolonged exposure. Plans for outdoor activities should be reconsidered. Local information on air quality can be found at http://www.airnow.gov.
The high temperature in South Lake Tahoe will stay in the low to mid 80s through the rest of the week, with haze and smoke expected.
Trending In: Weather
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region
- Wildfires to cause lower air quality in Lake Tahoe region, Sierra Nevada
- Wildfire smoke fills Lake Tahoe Basin, possible improvement coming Wednesday afternoon
- Wildfire smoke triggers air quality alert in Lake Tahoe region
- Smoke free? Clear, sunny conditions in forecast for Lake Tahoe region
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors