Wolverines rout Vikings 6-0 | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Wolverines rout Vikings 6-0

Sylas Wright

TRUCKEE, Calif. – What a difference a year makes.

After losing all three Sierra League meetings to eventual state champion South Tahoe last season, the Truckee boys’ soccer team made sure that history would not repeat itself Tuesday on its home field.

The Wolverines scored three goals in the opening 25 minutes and four goals in the first half en route to a 6-0, weather-shortened win against the visiting Vikings.

“It feels great, especially to come out and play the way we did, getting six goals like that,” said first-year Truckee head coach Casey Eberhardt, who was an assistant last year.

“We’re getting better,” the coach continued. “This game, it finally clicked. We got four goals in the first half, and that’s been our goal is to come out and score early and play it out from there.”

The Vikings’ defense managed to fend off several Truckee attacks in the first 15 minutes of the contest. But they could only hold the Wolverines off the scoreboard for so long.

In the 19th minute, Nash McMullen stole the ball from a South Tahoe defender with an aggressive move deep in Vikings territory and quickly crossed it to Fernando Rodriguez, who gathered the pass directly in front of the goal and blasted a shot into the back of the net.

Rodriguez struck again a couple minutes later with a close-range goal off an assist from Jesse Fereira, pushing the lead to 2-0. Three minutes after that, the senior forward sent a through ball up field to Rolando Zarate, who finished to give Truckee a third goal within a 5-minute span.

“We jumped on ’em hard,” Rodriguez said. “We were trying to score on ’em early, in the first 10 or 15 minutes. That’s what we try to do every game.”

The Wolverines added a fourth goal in the 32nd minute when Ben Brown delivered a nice through ball to Johnny Zarate, who deposited the shot into the back of the net. South Tahoe, meanwhile, managed to fire off only three shots in the first half as Truckee controlled possession.

Fereira got in on the scoring action 6 minutes into the second half with a goal assisted by David Martinez, and McMullen scored a sixth goal in the 50th minute when he headed in a corner kick from Johnny Zarate.

Then it began to rain, which intensified for several minutes until a loud clap of thunder prompted the officials to delay the game. They called the contest soon after as it appeared the storm would not let up.

Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.


See more