Woman dies in afternoon crash | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Woman dies in afternoon crash

Chad Lundquist / Nevada Appeal/ Officers from Nevada Highway Patrol and Carson City Sheriff's Office investigate the scene of a fatal accident Monday afternoon in Carson City.

A 20-year-old Gardnerville woman who stopped for a red light on Highway 50 died Monday afternoon after her vehicle was hit from behind by a Ford Ranger pickup.

The woman, whose name had not been released, drove a gray Chevy Cavalier and was at the intersection of Highway 50 and Airport Road when a Ranger, driven by 19-year-old Joni Marie Salvo of Carson City, rear-ended the car at 3:12 p.m.

Salvo also hit a pickup stopped in the left-turn lane. The male driver of that vehicle was uninjured, according to Nevada Highway Patrol Officer Eddie Bowers.

A witness to the accident, Mike Millard, whose business is on Highway 50, said the Ranger never slowed and was “definitely speeding.”

Once the Ranger hit the Cavalier, it sent the vehicle in a “forward, sideways and (then) spinning” motion into the intersection before it came to a rest, he said. Both girls were alive when he arrived, and he said music was playing loudly from the Ranger and the driver was “fading in and out.”

“The Ranger came along and plowed into the back of both (vehicles),” said Bowers. “The Cavalier took the brunt of the hit and was pushed into the intersection.”

Snowboard boots and a snowboard jacket lay in the back of the Cavalier, which had come to rest in the northbound lanes of Airport Road.

“I don’t know if she had any kids, if she was a mom,” Millard said. “But she has to be someone’s daughter.”

According to Millard, once the Ranger hit the Cavalier, the Ranger became airborne. The Ranger, which had damage to its left front, hit a pole in the northwest corner of the intersection.

“It’s just unknown, the reason (for the accident) at this point in time,” Bowers said. “It’s still under investigation. There’s no reason (the driver) came along and slammed into the back of those two cars. They evidently were traveling at a high speed to cause that person to be killed and then to be extricated.”

The driver of the Cavalier died on the way to the hospital. Salvo was flown by Care Flight to Washoe Medical Center and was in serious but stable condition, according to Bowers. The driver of the Cavalier was wearing her seat belt.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User