Woman given CPR after parasailing accident | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Woman given CPR after parasailing accident

Elaine Goodman

A woman who had no pulse and wasn’t breathing was resuscitated after a parasailing accident Saturday on Lake Tahoe in which a gust of wind apparently snapped the line between the boat and the parasailers, authorities said.

After the 24-year-old woman and the 15-year-old girl with whom she was parasailing floated an estimated 50 feet down into the lake, another gust of wind inflated the parachute and dragged the pair through the water, according to boating safety officer Dave Gottlieb with the South Lake Tahoe Police Department.

Gottlieb was aboard the department’s Marine 1 boat when it responded to the accident, which occurred at about 1:15 p.m. Saturday. The parasailing boat had launched from Ski Run Marina.

The boat was able to get in front of the parachute and stop it. When the two parasailers were pulled from the water, the woman had no pulse and wasn’t breathing, Gottlieb said. The girl was described as “stunned but conscious.”

Crew members administered CPR, and the woman regained consciousness. The parasailers were brought to shore in Marine 1, and paramedics took the woman to Heavenly Mountain Resort, where she was placed into a helicopter and flown to Renown Medical Center in Reno. The girl was taken to Barton Memorial Hospital.

Authorities did not provide the names of the parasailers Sunday, or their condition. But the woman showed good vital signs when she was taken from the area, Gottlieb said.

Recommended Stories For You

The pair are from San Jose, and the woman is the girlfriend of the girl’s father, Gottlieb said. The girl’s father stayed ashore as the two parasailed.

The pair had been toward the end of their parasailing trip, and the crew had about 100 feet of remaining line to reel in to return them to the boat when the line snapped, Gottlieb said.

A phone number police provided for the parasailing company was answered by Ski Run Boat Company, where a woman who answered the phone said that company’s boat was involved in the accident. She referred a request for comment to a supervisor, who did not return the Tribune’s phone call Sunday.