The latest on California wildfires: Napa Valley school remain closed until Monday
October 17, 2017
SONOMA, Calif. — The Latest on wildfires in California (all times local):
Schools in Napa County will remain closed until Monday, officials said.
The Napa Valley Unified School District had planned to open school Wednesday. But the district’s superintendent said Tuesday that air quality in the area worsened overnight.
Napa Valley Community College is also remaining closed the rest of the week.
Recommended Stories For You
The California Psychological Association has sent out an “urgent request” by email to a distribution list of about 13,000 licensed psychologists seeking volunteers to help wildfire evacuees cope with emotional trauma.
Jo Linder-Crow, the association’s chief executive, said Tuesday the email was sent out a day earlier to licensed mental health providers across California.
The email warned of “a tremendous acute and longterm impact” caused by the deadly wildfires and called for volunteers to hel p out at shelters.
As firefighters gained more control Tuesday of the massive wildfires in Northern California, officials and trauma experts worried about the emotional toll taken by the grueling week of major blazes.
At least 41 people were killed, more than 6,000 homes were destroyed, and tens of thousands of people remain under evacuation orders.
Authorities have identified the firefighter who was killed when the water transport truck he was driving rolled over near one of the wildfires that has devastated parts of Northern California.
The Napa County’s sheriff-coroner office said Tuesday that 38-year-old Garrett Paiz of Missouri died in the crash early Monday. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection identified him as a privately contracted water-tender driver.
Paiz was the first firefighting worker to die because of the wildfires that have killed at least 41 and destroyed thousands of homes. He is also a volunteer firefighter, but he was not working in that capacity at the time of his death.
California Highway Patrol is investigating the cause of the crash that happened in the tiny Napa Valley community of Oakville.
About 60 people remain unaccounted for in Napa and Sonoma counties, down from roughly 100 on Monday.
Sonoma County Sheriff Rob Giordano said Tuesday 53 people remain as reported missing more than a week after deadly wildfires started in Northern California’s wine country. The city of Santa Rosa is investigating 26 of those reports.
The county received nearly 2,000 reports of people missing, but most of the people have been located. Sonoma County also referred three dozen names of missing to other counties.
He said the number of dead remains at 22.
Napa County reported eight people on its unaccounted list.
It was unclear how many people are actually missing because reports have included duplicate names or names of people who were safe but unable to call relatives. Some people reported as missing also never knew someone had been lo oking for them.
Parts of southbound Highway 101 were closed Tuesday as firefighters battle brush fires in Northern California’s Marin County.
The San Francisco Chronicle writes that reports of fire came in to the California Highway Patrol shortly before noon.
Traffic was being diverted off the freeway near the Robin Williams Tunnel, just north of San Francisco.
The San Francisco Bay Area is on edge given weeklong fires in wine country and a new fire that cropped up Monday night in the Santa Cruz mountains.
A days-old endangered baby antelope born amid destructive Northern California wildfires has died.
Aphrodite Caserta, spokeswoman for Sonoma County’s Safari West, said Tuesday the cause of the animal’s death is unknown.
The species is found in swamps and grasslands in South Sudan and Ethiopia.
The baby was born Friday as thick smoke clogged parts of wine country during deadly fires that began Oct. 8.
Staff at the 400-acre private wildlife preserve named him Tubbs after the wildfire that had threatened the preserve.
Caserta said Tubbs looked strong and seemed to thrive but began to falter. She called the birth “a much needed ray of light in a time of darkness.”
Police have arrested a woman who they say stole credit cards and checkbooks from evacuees of the Northern California wildfires.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported that 31-year-old Katie Lehnhard of Petaluma was identified as a suspect after a fire victim reported to police that fraudulent charges had been made against her bank account.
Police say they conducted a search and found a stash of personal identification information belonging to Santa Rosa fire victims staying in a shelter.
Lynne Stark-Slater, chief deputy public defender for Sonoma County, said she does not know if Lehnhard has a lawyer.
Stark-Slater said she also is not certain if Lehnhard has been charged, as the Superior Court in Sonoma County has closed temporar ily due to fires.
Tens of thousands of people were forced from their homes during the wildfires in wine country.
Police advised residents to make sure their vehicles are locked and to contact the U.S. Postal Service to redirect mail if they have lost their home.
Smoke is descending into the coastal beach town of Santa Cruz from a fire that broke out late Monday, destroying four structures and injuring five firefighters.
Rob Sherman, division chief at the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, says the fire in the Santa Cruz mountains has grown from 125 acres to 150 acres and was 5 percent contained.
About 150 homes have been evacuated and dozens of people are at two evacuation centers.
The state fire agency had previously said the cause was a house fire, but spokeswoman Angela Bernheisel says it’s unclear if the structure was a house.
Smoke is visible almost 20 miles (32 kilometers) away at the forested University of California at Santa Cruz campus. Officials issued a notice to students that if the situation becomes threatening they will issue an emergency alert.
Santa Rosa’s Sutter Hospital has re-opened after evacuating nearly 80 patients a week ago within a frantic six hours as one of the wine country wildfires crept closer to the facility.
It was one of two hospitals to evacuate patients Oct. 9. The other facility was Kaiser Permanente’s Santa Rosa Medical Center, which evacuated 130 patients.
Firefighters have been using water from the hospital’s private water main, a system put in place during the 2014 construction of the facility for use in disasters.
The six underground water tanks were designed with earthquakes in mind, but the 500,000 gallons of water has helped fight fires this last week.
The facility re-opened Tuesday morning.
Authorities say five firefighters have sustained minor injuries while battling a blaze that sprang up late Monday in the Santa Cruz mountains.
Rob Sherman, assistant chief of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, says a firefighter slipped several dozen feet down a ravine and has face lacerations and possible wrist fracture.
An inmate firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation, and three other firefighters slipped in steep terrain.
Sherman says the rugged terrain has been a challenge.
The fire is holding at 125 acres and evacuations of 150 homes are ongoing. The vegetation blaze was sparked by a house fire.
Authorities say roughly 34,000 people remain evacuated from wildfires in Northern California that broke out a week ago.
The number is dramatically lower than a high of nearly 100,000 on Saturday in Sonoma, Napa and other counties.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says the death toll remains at 41 with more than 5,700 homes and structures destroyed.
Elsewhere, about 150 households have been evacuated after a wildfire broke out in the Santa Cruz mountains in the southern San Francisco Bay Area.
Two firefighters have been injured battling a blaze in California’s Santa Cruz mountains.
One firefighter was rescued after falling down a steep ravine and is being transported to a hospital. California Department of Fire and Forestry spokeswoman Angela Bernheisel says the firefighter has a possible wrist fracture.
Another firefighter was treated earlier for smoke inhalation.
Authorities say the fire is holding at 125 acres and evacuations of 150 homes are ongoing. The vegetation blaze was sparked by a house fire.
In the state’s wine country to the north, firefighters are getting a handle on a number of wildfires that broke out about a week ago, killing at least 40 people and destroying thousands of buildings and homes.
Helicopters are making water drops as crews working in steep terrain battle an out-of-control fire burning near a historic observatory and communications towers on Mount Wilson northeast of Los Angeles.
Robert Diaz of the Los Angeles County Fire Department says more than 25 acres of dry brush have been charred since the blaze broke out shortly before 4 a.m. Tuesday near the 5,710 foot (1,740 meter) peak. There is no containment.
A huge plume of smoke is visible across the Los Angeles basin and surrounding valleys.
Officials say the observatory has been evacuated and the fire is not burning near foothill residences.
Firefighters hope to make progress surrounding the fire while winds remain calm amid cooler morning temperatures.
Mount Wilson, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of downtown Los Angeles, houses critical broadcas t and communications antennas for the region.
Northern California firefighters are battling a fire that sprang up overnight in the southern Bay Area Santa Cruz mountains, prompting evacuation orders.
Rob Sherman, assistant chief of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, tells KNTV news that at least one structure is destroyed and about 100 homes threatened.
Sherman said that a house fire is believed to have sparked the quick-spreading blaze.
Firefighters plan to attack the flames from air once the sun rises.
A cluster of wildfires have been burning in northern California for a week. The fires, the deadliest cluster in California history, have killed at least 41 people and destroyed nearly 6,000 homes.
A week after fleeing wildfires, tens of thousands of Californians are drifting back into their neighborhoods.
Some will face the prospect of destroyed homes. All will face possible lasting emotional damage.
Mendocino County Supervisor Rob Brown said Monday that “it’s never going to be the same” for the 8,000 evacuees from his county allowed to return home.
Brown said they’ll have to seek a new normal after the destruction, displacement and devastation of the fires that destroyed nearly 6,000 homes and killed 41 people.
Officials in neighboring Sonoma County, which had the most death and destruction, said they have increasingly been getting calls from people worried about mentally coping with what’s happened.
Trending In: Main Carousel
- Second open records case heads to Nevada Supreme Court
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite
- Smoke-filled basin awaits those traveling to Lake Tahoe; nearby wildfires source of smoke
- South Lake Tahoe restaurants donating proceeds to fire, hurricane victims
- Need to get in or out of South Lake Tahoe? Here are the open routes
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region