Airplane reported missing near Truckee
April 19, 2017
An airplane that departed from the Tahoe-Truckee Airport on Monday, April 17 has been reported missing.
According to a press release issued by the Civil Air Patrol, the plane departed the Truckee Airport yesterday around 4 p.m. The two people on board were heading for the Petaluma Municipal Airport, but family members say they never arrived.
The CAP, which is an all-volunteer U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, is assisting the Sierra County Sheriff’s Department with the search near Little Truckee Summit in Tahoe National Forest, northwest of the town of Truckee.
Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander Lt. Col. David Boehm said Tuesday afternoon, “We will be flying until sundown. If the aircraft is not located this evening, we plan to resume aerial search operations at sunrise, so long as the weather permits.”
The missing aircraft is equipped with an emergency location transmitter, though as of Tuesday afternoon no signal had been sent. The airplane is a four-sear low wing aircraft, known as a Socata TB-20 Trinidad. It is blue and white with gold trim.
"We want to find them, and we will search as long as we are needed," he said.
Recommended Stories For You
The California Highway Patrol is also assisting in the search, according to CAP spokesperson Lt. Col. Crystal Housman.
Amanda Rhoades is a news, environment and business reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at email@example.com or 530-550-2653. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @akrhoades.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Ice Cube performing at Lake Tahoe Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
- Friends, family remembering Heavenly Mountain Resort ski patroller missing in Mount Rainier National Park
- Heavenly Resort ski pass thieves admit embezzlement
- Lake Tahoe estate hits market for $75 million, highest listing price at Tahoe (video)
- Douglas County Lake Tahoe Sewer Authority meets for first time
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Study finds bears hibernating less with warmer winters, access to human food (video)