Airplane reported missing near Truckee
April 19, 2017
An airplane that departed from the Tahoe-Truckee Airport on Monday, April 17 has been reported missing.
According to a press release issued by the Civil Air Patrol, the plane departed the Truckee Airport yesterday around 4 p.m. The two people on board were heading for the Petaluma Municipal Airport, but family members say they never arrived.
The CAP, which is an all-volunteer U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, is assisting the Sierra County Sheriff’s Department with the search near Little Truckee Summit in Tahoe National Forest, northwest of the town of Truckee.
Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander Lt. Col. David Boehm said Tuesday afternoon, “We will be flying until sundown. If the aircraft is not located this evening, we plan to resume aerial search operations at sunrise, so long as the weather permits.”
The missing aircraft is equipped with an emergency location transmitter, though as of Tuesday afternoon no signal had been sent. The airplane is a four-sear low wing aircraft, known as a Socata TB-20 Trinidad. It is blue and white with gold trim.
"We want to find them, and we will search as long as we are needed," he said.
Recommended Stories For You
The California Highway Patrol is also assisting in the search, according to CAP spokesperson Lt. Col. Crystal Housman.
Amanda Rhoades is a news, environment and business reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at email@example.com or 530-550-2653. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @akrhoades.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Groundbreaking set for future Whole Foods location in South Lake Tahoe
- 14,000 fight California fires, some from prisons or overseas
- UPDATE: Chain requirements lifted on US 50, Interstate 80
- Douglas County Lake Tahoe Sewer Authority meets for first time
- Ethics case against 2 Nevada legislators resurrected
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe