California resident drowns in Lake Tahoe
August 6, 2018
Authorities have located the body of a California man who jumped from a boat into Lake Tahoe Saturday and never resurfaced.
Police were initially dispatched to an area off the shore in Stateline at 11:58 a.m. Saturday, according to the South Lake Tahoe Police Department. A 21-year-old man had reportedly jumped off a boat near the beach and did not resurface.
After several hours of searching officers suspended the search due to unsafe conditions.
Various agencies returned at 8 a.m. Sunday to continue the search. After several hours, a cadaver dog aboard one of the search boats helped pinpoint a location where dive teams located the man’s body.
Law enforcement is withholding the man’s name until next of kin is notified.
The search involved specialized resources, including 11 search and rescue divers.
Recommended Stories For You
Responding agencies included the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department, Washoe County Sheriff's Department, South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue, Douglas County Sheriff's Department, Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District and the U.S. Coast Guard.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Snow or rain? Winter storm could drench Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours