Moderate earthquake strikes Lake Tahoe-area Thursday morning
July 26, 2018
RENO, Nev. — A moderate earthquake stuck the Lake Tahoe-area Thursday morning.
The Nevada Seismological Laboratory says the preliminary magnitude 3.5 earthquake struck Tahoe City, California just after midnight.
The U.S. Geological Survey reports more than 380 people reported feeling the shaking, including people about 50 miles (80 kilometers) away in Sparks, Nevada.
The Reno Gazette Journal reports a handful of small earthquakes were felt in the area recently.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Winter storm warning remains in effect at Lake Tahoe; 2 more feet of snow possible
- California Highway Patrol: Travel to Lake Tahoe is not recommended
- Lake Tahoe roads: Chain requirements in effect (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Winter storm warning extended; more snow likely at Lake Tahoe Sunday