South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue responds to small fire; cause of ‘booming’ sound unknown
November 7, 2017
Investigators are unsure what may have caused a loud "booming" sound in a South Lake Tahoe neighborhood near the Y on Tuesday.
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue responded to a small fire at a residence in the 1900 block of D Street around noon Tuesday. The fire originated in a closet containing a hot water heater, SLTFR Battalion Chief Jim Drennan told the Tribune.
One person reported hearing a big "booming" sound, but there was nothing inside the home to indicate an explosion, Drennan said.
An area resident also told the Tribune he heard a loud noise that sounded like an explosion.
The cause of the fire is unknown and under investigation.
Drennan said the home sustained some light smoke damage.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Family: Pastor found unresponsive at Lake Tahoe ski resort died from heart attack
- UPDATE: Chain requirements lifted on US 50, Interstate 80
- Highway 89 reopens at Emerald Bay
- Douglas County Lake Tahoe Sewer Authority meets for first time
- Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director arrested in Tennessee after embezzlement charge
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- 2 ½ feet of snow in 2 days at Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- UPDATE: Chain requirements in effect on most Lake Tahoe area highways
- Lake Tahoe weather: Slight chance of flurries Friday; storm possible Sunday
- Reno double homicide similar to Douglas County killings