Swarm of nearly 100 small earthquakes shake south Reno
January 12, 2018
The University of Nevada, Reno’s Seismological Laboratory say more than 90 events were confirmed on the south edge of town between 10:30 p.m. Thursday and 11 a.m. Friday in an area where the Mount Rose Highway intersects with U.S. Interstate 580.
The largest recorded were four magnitude 2.0 temblors.
There have been no reports of damage and fewer than 40 people have reported feeling them on the lab’s web site.
Ken Smith, the lab’s associate director, says they are monitoring the situation closely and updating local emergency management officials in case the sequence evolves to a larger, damaging earthquake.
Trending In: Main Headline
- Lake Tahoe weather: Ski resorts report 1 foot of new snow; more in forecast for South Shore
- South Lake Tahoe begins drafting cannabis ordinance
- South Lake Tahoe’s Chris Cocores on mend, growing stronger from fatal car crash
- UPDATE: Two skiers rescued near Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Traditional Washoe structure destroyed in Incline Village