Vonn leads Cortina downhill training by large margin
January 17, 2018
CORTINA D'AMPEZZO, Italy — Lindsey Vonn led by a large margin in the opening training session for a World Cup downhill on the Olympia delle Tofane course Wednesday.
Vonn held a 0.95-second advantage over Sofia Goggia of Italy and was 2.02 ahead of American teammate Jacqueline Wiles.
In a strong showing for the American and Italian teams, Alice McKennis of the United States was fourth and Federica Brignone of Italy was fifth.
Vonn has won only one race this season and will be looking to step up preparations for next month's Pyeongchang Olympics on a course where she holds a record 11 wins.
Vonn recorded her first podium result in Cortina in 2004.
After another training session Thursday, downhill races are scheduled for Friday and Saturday, followed by a super-G on Sunday.
Trending In: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend