For Simon, it’s not a fight game but a waiting game
Some fighters don’t know when to get out of the ring. Lightweight/welterweight Simon Ruvalcaba doesn’t know when he’ll get in it.
The 23-year-old from South Lake Tahoe learned Monday afternoon that his long-awaited professional debut will require even more patience.
Ruvalcaba was scheduled to fight on tonight’s ESPN2 card in Las Vegas. However, a matchmakers’ mixup of the fight date left Ruvalcaba’s opponent insufficient time to prepare for the fight.
Obviously, Ruvalcaba is disappointed he can’t bring an end to his 21-week training camp.
“It’s frustrating. This is another time that I was set to go and I’m not fighting,” Ruvalcaba said.
Juan Torres, Ruvalcaba’s trainer, said that he experienced similar circumstances during his fight career.
“I feel bad for him. It’s been put off so long I really wanted to get him a fight,” he said. “His opponent was probably overweight until next week. That’s the way it was for me, where I’d trim down days before the fight.”
Previously, matchmakers have been troubled to find Ruvalcaba an opponent because it’s his pro debut. At the outset of a career, fighters are matched against foes with similar experience.
“They don’t know who he is, so they they don’t want to take any chances,” Torres said.
Prior to tonight’s proposed fight, Ruvalcaba was only worried about the Nevada Athletic Commission receiving the results from the various tests he needed to pass to be licensed. But they were expedited, only to see a new impediment arise.
To create more opportunities in the ring, Ruvalcaba might make his debut against someone with more fights under his belt.
His next chances are June 9 in New Mexico and June 22 in Vallejo, Calif.
If those cards fall through, Ruvalcaba just may open his pro career at Harrah’s Tahoe on July 6. The Stateline casino is planning to re-enter the fight business after a 10-year absence with veteran Ivan Robinson of Philadelphia vs. United States Boxing Association lightweight champion Efren Hinojosa of Mexico serving as the main event and former Placerville resident Carlos Bojorquez against an opponent to be determined as the appetizer.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User