Injury knocks Ruvalcaba out of Oct. 2 fight
A reoccuring shoulder injury has forced Carson City boxer Simon Ruvalcaba to pull out of his Oct. 2 bout against Frank Mondejar of Fresno in Lemoore, Calif.
Ruvalcaba reinjured the shoulder during preparation for the four-rounder.
“It’s not as bad as the first time, but it kept me from my sparring session with Eric (Majors),” Ruvalcaba said.
The welterweight bout was an opportunity for Ruvalcaba to even his professional record at 4-4-2. However, the South Tahoe High grad is pleased with the progress he’s made in 2003.
“I feel I started to come into my own as a fighter and matured as a professional this year,” said Ruvalcaba, who has three victories this year. “At the end of last year I was thinking that my career was over. It feels great to have breathed new life into my boxing career, which has been my dream since Aug. 10, 1988 when I first started to box.”
Ruvalcaba plans to return to the ring in February or March.