Majors to begin comeback tonight
After what Eric Majors has been through during the past two years, trading life-threatening punches for a living doesn’t seem so serious.
The 25-year-old boxer from South Lake Tahoe ends a 20-month layoff tonight against Alfredo Andrave of El Cajon, Calif., in a four-round welterweight bout in Imperial Beach, Calif.
Two years ago, Majors was struggling to a 3-4 professional record, but his problems in the ring soon became an afterthought. He started experiencing a dull ache in his stomach that wouldn’t go away. CAT scans, ultrasounds and a multitude of blood tests ruled out the worst-case scenarios. Finally, doctors determined that Majors needed his gallbladder removed.
“I didn’t know what to think, and I saw five or six doctors about it,” Majors said. “I feel good knowing I went through every medical check.”
Six months after surgery Majors was given the OK to resume training. His stomach was pain free and digestion had returned to normal. Earlier this year he began sparring with another Tahoe pro boxer, Simon Ruvalcaba. But he didn’t regain complete confidence in his health until he sparred without a stomach protector.
“I’d take some shots and it would hurt like anybody else, but nothing that concerned me,” Majors said.
“I definitely don’t have that in the back of my mind any more. I don’t need that distraction. I need to go in there, relax and take care of business.”
After renewing his boxing license, Majors removed any lingering doubts by preparing for a fight like never before. Following four months of conditioning and occasional sparring in South Lake Tahoe, Majors joined trainer Juan Torres for a 10-day prefight camp near San Diego.
“He’s definitely got his day’s work done during his 10 days here,” said Torres by cellphone on Wednesday morning. “The reason why he lost those fights before is when he got hit to the body it hurt real bad because of his gallbladder. He’s been hit in sparring and he’s fine.”
With Majors physically fit again, Torres is confident his fighter can begin a winning streak.
“He just has to believe in himself and really want it,” Torres said. “After what he’s been through, I expect it of him because he has the fire and he wants it to happen.”
That should translate into a busier Majors in the ring.
“I’ve learned to relax and focus more on combinations and make more use of my reach than I did before in the ring,” Majors said. “I still have a strong passion and drive for boxing. This is probably my last chance. I’m going to give it my all.”
Ruvalcaba was also scheduled to fight on the card, but his opponent pulled out of the bout. His next oppportunity to fight is either May 16 or 17 when Willie Jorrin and Juan Lezcano will headline on consecutive nights in Sacramento.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User