Rangers earn dramatic victory over Capitols | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Rangers earn dramatic victory over Capitols

Leading 5-4 with less than a minute to go, the Capitols were ready to shut down the Rangers for the first time this year in the 17-and-under youth hockey championship, and with their second-string goaltender, to boot.

But the Rangers’ Mark Sassi scored on a feed from Sal Kinder to tie the game 5-5.

A few minutes into the first overtime period, the Rangers’ Dustin Zastre scored the game-winning goal to protect the Rangers 8-0 season and win 6-5.

But it nearly slipped away, particularly since many of the Capitols’ players defeated many of the Rangers’ players in an in-line hockey league the night before, explained Sassi.

“I think we could have beat them. A lot of calls didn’t go our way and we ended up getting beat. But I think our team played a lot better than we’ve ever played before,” said the Capitols’ Kyle Kracht.


With 12 seconds left in the game and tied 1-1, it looked as if the Kings and the Sharks were headed for overtime.

But the Kings’ Spencer Trapp got a breakaway and scored with 8.2 seconds remaining, ending the 13-and-under youth hockey division championship with the Kings on top 2-1.

The Kings led from the beginning, with an unassisted goal by defender Tony Mariskanish with 10 minutes to go in the first.

The Sharks’ Cooper Stanley scored in the second period to tie it 1-1 with 11:49 yet to play. Payton Guttry had the assist.


In the 11-and-under division, the victory was much more pronounced with the Whatford Whalers outplaying the Meeks Ice Hogs 9-4 to take the championship.

Cooper Stanley scored six goals, four unassisted, to give his team a definitive offensive advantage.

The Hogs’ Devyn Hotho scored two goals to lead her team. Chris Little and Danielle Heidt also scored.

The game was tied after the first period at 2. But the Whalers took a 5-3 lead in the second period, with Stanley scoring his fourth goal on a penalty shot.

Kohl Zeek also scored two points for the Whalers. His second goal came with eight minutes to go in the third to take a 7-4 lead.

With Jordan Devlin’s goal with 2:33 remaining, followed by Stanley’s sixth goal less than a minute later, the victory was sealed.

The Ice Hogs’ goalie Jake Trapp stopped 17 shots. The Whalers’ Ty O’Neil stopped 15.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User