Ready or not, it’s time for a March Madness pop quiz
All right, so the tournament officially started Tuesday with the 64th and 65th teams, Northwestern State and Winthrop, battling it out for the right to play No. 1-seeded Illinois on Thursday.
Now that we’re knee-deep in NCAA hoops, let’s find out how much you really know about the ‘Big Dance’ since everyone seems to be an expert this time of year anyway.
Please put your brackets down and take a minute to see if you can survive the Two L True Fans’ Quiz.
1. Lefty Dreisell has now taken four different schools to the NCAA tournament, joining two other coaches in this year’s bracket who have done it as well.
Name the schools Dreisell has guided to the tournament and the two other coaches and the schools they’ve taken to the tournament?
2. Dick Vitale will be plastered on television sets all across our great nation for the next three weeks. Can you name what school he coached and what year did he take them to the NCAA tournament?
3. Dick Vitale has also appeared in numerous movies and programs, but can you name the 1980’s sitcom on which he appeared with Jim Valvano as a mover?
4. Can you name two current Division I head coaches who played on the 1986 Final Four team for Duke and which schools they coach?
5. Under what legendary coach did Utah head man Rick Majerus get his start as a collegiate coach?
6. Can you name the starting five for the 1989-1990 UNLV Runnin’ Rebel National Championship team?
7. Who hit the game winning shot for the Indiana Hoosiers in the 1987 National Championship game and who did Indiana beat?
8. What is the lowest seeded team to make the Final Four and what year did the team make it?
9. Which school won the first-ever NCAA basketball title and in what year?
10. Who hit the tip-in for the North Carolina State Wolfpack in 1983’s national title game?
11. This year the NCAA instituted the much- maligned and publicized play-in game, but it’s not the first time the tournament has had teams play to get into the field of 64.
When was the last time teams had to play in?
12. Who was Matt Doherty’s predecessor at UNC and at Notre Dame?
13. Can you name the school with the longest consecutive tournament appearance and how many years?
14. Can you name Bill Walton’s four sons and which schools they play (ed) for?
15. Which two will be in this year’s tourney?
There you are, the Two L Fans’ test. Check the answers in today’s scoreboard on Page 2B to see how you did.
1. Eddie Sutton (Okla St, Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky) and Jim Harrick (UCLA, Pepperdine, Georgia, Rhode Island)
2. University of Detroit, 1976-77
3. The Cosby Show (1992)
4. Quin Snyder (Missouri) Tommy Amaker (Seton Hall)
5. Al McQuire (Marquette)
7. Keith Smart against Syracuse
8. 11th seeded Villanova
9. University of Oregon, 1939
10. Lorenzo Charles
12. Bill Guthridge (UNC), John McCloud (UND)
13. UNC, 25 years
14. Adam (Louisana State, Notre Dame of Belmont, Calif.), Luke (Arizona), Nate (Princeton), Chris (San Diego State)
15. Luke and Nate
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User