Sweetpea slayer returns to Stateline
Whether he’s changing tires, building homes or knocking former champions into retirement, Carlos Bojorquez is a man who loves to work.
Only a day after knocking six-time champion Pernell Whitaker out of boxing, the 29-year-old Bojorquez was back at his day job, changing tires at Willy’s Tires in Mira Loma, Calif.
“Monday I’ll go to work, too, and it’s no problem,” said Bojorquez, who will fight Adrian Sanchez in a semi-main event Friday at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe. “I work six days a week in the tire shop when I’m not training.”
That unique work ethic has already made an impression on Hall of Fame promoter Don Chargin, who signed Bojorquez before the Whitaker bout.
“I love to see fighters that work, then they don’t have to take fights just to pay the rent,” Chargin said. “This kid is really a hard worker.”
Bojorquez’s daytime boss, Willy Silva, also serves as his fight manager. When Bojorquez upset Whitaker on April 27 at Caesars Tahoe, Silva had a $1,000 bet riding on his man.
A few days later, Bojorquez had the keys to his first car – Lincoln Town car.
“He showed me this car and I told him it was very nice. He said, ‘You like it, it’s yours,” recalled Bojorquez, a former Placerville resident. “That makes me want to win even more.”
Being the fighter who stopped Whitaker’s illustrious career is a feat that Bojorquez is still finding hard to believe.
“Oh yeah, it will be a record for all the time. I’m the one who stopped him. Oh, my god, I can’t believe it,” Bojorquez said. “I don’t feel famous. I will be the same guy and I hope I’ll hold a world title someday and be the same guy.”
Bojorquez (15-2-5) knows very little about Sanchez, other than he was a minor league pitcher for the Chicago Cubs who can punch.
“I here he’s a very strong guy, but I know nothing else,” Bojorquez said. “I don’t know about his wind, but I’ll find out Friday.”
“They both get mad if you miss them,” joked Chargin. “Their fight figures to be a war.”
Earlier in the week, Bojorquez worked out in the garage of local trainer Juan Torres with Shibata Flores, who will fight Fernando Vargas for the WBA junior middleweight championship Sept. 22 in Las Vegas.
“When I started boxing in Placerville, I started in a garage,” Bojorquez said. “This is good because everybody is laughing. This is the way to be like a team. When everybody is worried or sad, it’s no good.”
Friday’s card also includes a 10-round main event between undefeated lightweight Efren Hinojosa (22-0) and Ivan Robinson (30-5-1) and five undercard bouts.
Three area boxers, including Simon Ruvalcaba of South Lake Tahoe, are scheduled to fight. Ruvalcaba (0-1) will try to avenge his pro debut loss to Justo Almazan (4-15-1) in a four-round lightweight bout, undefeated middleweight Eric Regan (13-0) of Roseville, Calif., will oppose Jose Ramirez (8-7) and Sacramento’s Michael “Famous” Sims (6-0) will battle an opponent not yet determined.
Lou Duva’s hot prospect Oscar Diaz (4-0) of San Antonio also is on the card.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with the first bout set for 6 p.m. Premium seats are $75 apiece, with remaining tickets selling for $35. For ticket information, phone 1-800-HARRAHS.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
“Let Them Play,” rallies are taking place across California with a mission to bring back high school and youth sports.