Unbeaten Douglas boys rally to tie South Tahoe | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Unbeaten Douglas boys rally to tie South Tahoe


MINDEN – The Douglas High boys soccer team’s unbeaten record is still intact, but only after a late – very late – comeback that lifted the Tigers to a 3-3 tie at home against South Tahoe on Wednesday.

Douglas rallied from an early 3-0 deficit and finally pulled even on Kevin Krueger’s last-minute goal to salvage a tie in a battle between Northern 4A Division II rivals.

Despite playing shorthanded for various reasons – a situation further compounded when goalkeeper Kevin Gwinn left in the first half with a concussion – the Tigers escaped from the match with a 13-0-2 record that has already clinched the Division II championship.

“We looked a little lackluster but there was nothing to play for today, really, except to beat Tahoe, which is something the kids always like to do,” Douglas coach Mike Robinson said.

Watching the lead, and victory, slip away was difficult for coach Joe Winters. Especially since the Vikings are now 6-5-2 and fifth in Division – one point behind Wooster, before Wednesday’s action, in the race for fourth-place and a playoff berth.

“This was a big game for us and we thought we had it won,” said Winters. “We have to play the whole game, we can’t slip into a defensive mode, which is what we did out there today. But my guys played brilliantly. We totally dominated the first half. We had them beat.”

Winters, while praising his team’s effort, was less pleased with the game’s length. Normally an 80-minute affair, the contest went exactly three minutes into overtime, a period determined solely by the referee and usually allotted for injuries or extensive penalties.

“It’s pretty frustrating. He didn’t put the ball in the net, but the referee let them play an extra three minutes. I thought, any second now. Sure enough, they tied it up two minutes into extra time. I don’t feel the extra time was warranted,” Winters said. “I should’ve been screaming that time was over, or at least brought it to his attention. He never stopped his watch in the second half. He showed me. And there were never any timeouts for injuries. Douglas got four yellow cards, we got one. Who got rewarded for those yellow cards?”

South Tahoe held a 3-1 lead midway through the second half before the Tigers came to life. Douglas continually pressured South Tahoe before getting the break late.

South Tahoe broke out on top in the 18th minute when Evan Baker scored off an assist from John Robinson. The Vikings extended their lead with two goals only three minutes apart later in the first half, one by Andy Butcher and the other by Brian Winters. David Justice had assists on both goals.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.