Vikings gets even with Galena |

Vikings gets even with Galena

The Vikings’ boys soccer team avenged an earlier loss to Galena on Wednesday as the Vikings cruised to a 3-0 victory in a Nevada 4A division game.

South Tahoe used the power of two first-half goals to guide it to the shutout win. Fifteen minutes into the match, freshman Alex Torres received a long pass from senior Ryan Daugherty and buried his shot into the net.

“Galena plays a onside trap most of the time and and we just caught them flat in the back and took advantage of it,” Vikings coach Joe Winters said.

Twelve minutes later, the Vikings added another tally as Chris McKean crossed the ball to Carlos Davila, who headed it behind the goalkeeper of the second score. That score would stand as the teams went into the half at 2-0.

The Vikings had 14 shots on goal in the first stanza, while Galena only had three. In the second half, South Tahoe played a more defensive game with two defensive midfielders, instead of the typical one.

“We didn’t want to give up anything cheap down the middle,” Winters said.

Again, it was McKean who set up the final score. This time, he crossed the ball to Kerim Pasadas, who, in turn, dribbled it 20 yards up the side and blasted his shot into the goal for the final score.

STHS goal keeper Pete Chiarpotti delivered a shutout and Daugherty, who missed the first contest with Galena, helped stabilize the defense.

The Vikings suffered numerous minor injuries as Galena played a very physical game. But Winters is uncertain about the health of senior Dave Brown. Brown may have separated his shoulder when he was tripped up on a breakaway only 10 minutes into the contest.

“We don’t know how his shoulder is,” Winters said. “As soon as he gets some X-rays, we’ll find out.”

The junior varsity also delivered a 3-0 win as Fabian Perez scored two goals and Daniel Justice added one of his own for the win.

Next up for the Vikings is a road game at Fallon on Saturday.

Whittell strikers fall again.

A day after falling to Truckee, the Warrior girls soccer team traveled to the defending state 3A champions North Tahoe.

But unfortunately for head coach Mike Leeper and his squad, the Warriors were shut out again.

The Warriors had plenty of opportunities to get on the board as they had 13 corner kicks, but were unable to connect on any of them.

“We just couldn’t capitalize on our chances,” Leeper said. “But it’s good for us that we’re are playing a tough preseason schedule so that we’ll be ready for the regular season.”

Up next for the Warriors is a home match against Manogue on Tuesday.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more