Vikings lose to Galena, but show promise |

Vikings lose to Galena, but show promise

It would have been so much better if South Tahoe High would have walked away from Galena with a win.

The players could have gone home with smiles on their faces instead of frowns and the quiet, winless blues, and they could have silenced what may be some of the most narrow-minded and distasteful fans in Northern Nevada.

But the Grizzlies had it their way, pressuring the Vikings up and down the court and forcing 23 Viking turnovers to only 14 of their own.

After an 0-2 start, the Grizzlies’ 47-42 victory over the Vikings on Tuesday night was their first win and a major coup over a talented Viking team that had a terrible night.

Only senior Niko Klansek managed to put together and offensive performance for the Vikings, scoring a team-high 18 points, going 4 of 5 from the beyond the 3-point line and hitting 4 of 6 free throws.

Dan Tobin came up with 11 and Curtis Johnson, normally a leader on offense, put up only five points. As well, Chris Perry, who hit six 3-pointers in the Vikings’ last game against Atwater, was held to two points.

“I don’t think we played very well,” said Viking head coach Derek Allister. “I know we were a little tight. I asked the guys before the game ‘Is this a big game?’ …. and they said, ‘Yeah coach, this is huge.'”

And with that the Vikings shot themselves in the foot.

“Our defense won the game for us tonight,” said Grizzlies head coach Tom Maurer.

Whip Thompson led for the Grizzlies with nine points, followed by Bobby Contraras with eight and Derrik Lorenzen with seven. In all, nine of 12 Grizzlies scored, compared with seven of 14 Vikings.

But Maurer, too, wasn’t pleased with how his team played.

“We made it close,” he said. “When we get leads we expand them, we don’t lose them. I told the guys when you have a 12-point lead up at the lake, you don’t let that group get it back.”

But that’s exactly what happened.

After trailing trailing 25-20 after the half and down by 10 at the start of the third, the Vikings launched a slow but continuous comeback. They trailed 35-27 after three periods.

That’s when Klansek turned on the firepower, hitting for two, making a steal, then coming back with a 3-point play.

With 4:37 remaining the Vikings were down 39-35, then climbed back to a 42-41 lead after Klansek racked up another 3-point play and passed to Dan Tobin for an assist on the next drive.

Tobin then had a full-court drive to give the Vikings the 1-point lead.

Keenyn Wallace fouled out with under two minutes to play, and Galena regained the lead. And that was about it for the Vikings, with Whip hitting a field goal and later sinking two free throws.

Perry and Kevin Woodman both had open 3-pointers, but sent their final shots clanging off the rim.

In all, Allister was disappointed with how the Vikings played but pleased with how they continued to fight.

“Good teams give themselves opportunities to win when they’re not playing well …” Allister said. “I think we have a good chance to win some games this year.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User