Historic Lake Tahoe home sells for $10 million
A piece of Lake Tahoe’s maritime history on the lake’s West Shore recently changed hands for $10 million.
Built in 1936, this home was originally owned by the Scott family of the Hall-Scott Engine Company, located in Berkeley, California.
Built by and for one of Tahoe’s original boating families, this home features two double boathouses, a rock-crib pier and private harbor, according to information provided by Sierra Sotheby’s International Realty, whose agents represented the home.
A workshop originally built in one of the boathouses for mechanics was recently updated to offer entertainment over the water.
In 1959 the Scott family sold the property and the three adjacent lakefront lots to a Stanford University graduate. When the new owner invited his three fraternity brothers to join him on the lake, each one wanted a parcel.
The friends had their wives engage in a friendly game of poker to decide who would have first pick of the lots.
The winning player had never played poker prior to this game, according to Sierra Sotheby’s International Realty. To this day, all three remain in each family’s ownership.
With six bedrooms, six and a half baths, this old-Tahoe classic features more than 160 feet of lake frontage on 1.7 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, the SunnyShack (a beachside bar), two double boathouses and a private harbor.
The new owner of the home, located between Sunnyside and Tahoe City, was not identified.