Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm could dump 5 inches of snow at Tahoe
November 24, 2017
The Lake Tahoe region could see nearly half a foot of snow by the end of the weekend, according to the National Weather Service.
The basin can expect two days of partly sunny conditions before rain, and possibly snow, moves into the region Saturday evening, according to the special weather statement.
Strong winds stemming from a "potent Pacific storm" will sweep into the Tahoe Basin Saturday afternoon. Winds will be strongest Sunday, with 20 to 30 mph breezes at Tahoe and gusts as strong as 55 mph.
Mild conditions will prevail through Sat. Sat and Sun will be windy ahead of a strong cold front which will bring snow to the Sierra and northeast CA Sun and Sun night. Expect travel delays across the Sierra due to slick roads and post-holiday traffic. pic.twitter.com/UpscpciziG
— NWS Reno (@NWSReno) November 23, 2017
Recommended Stories For You
"Precipitation will begin as rain, even at the passes, as snow levels start high. Snow levels will
begin to fall early Sunday evening with snow over the passes possible before midnight."
Snow levels will start at 9,000 feet Saturday afternoon eventually falling to 6,500 in the Tahoe Basin on Saturday evening.
"Snow levels will crash Sunday night and fall to near the lower valley floors as the precipitation ends. … Be prepared for major travel delays over Sierra passes due to slick and snow-covered roads."
Up to 5 inches of snow could accumulate around Lake Tahoe, while Sierra passes could see between 4 -10 inches of snow, according to initial estimates by NWS. Light accumulations of less than 1 inch are possible as low as 4,500 feet.
Happy Friday! Expect mild conditions today w/ partly cloudy skies. Expect mild & breezy conditions Sat. Sunday will be windy ahead of a strong cold front which will bring snow to the Sierra & NE CA Sun afternoon & night. Snow levels could reach some valley floors by Mon morning. pic.twitter.com/arlEM2nHQL
— NWS Reno (@NWSReno) November 24, 2017
Trending In: Trending
- Body of former Heavenly Mountain Resort ski patroller recovered in Mount Rainier National Park
- Demonstrators to host march calling for US 50 pedestrian crossing in South Lake Tahoe
- Harrah’s, Harveys Lake Tahoe to charge for holiday, special event parking
- Lake Tahoe estate hits market for $75 million, highest listing price at Tahoe (video)
- Need to get in or out of South Lake Tahoe? Here are the open routes
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Kirkwood Mountain to open backside, Heavenly Mountain to open California side Saturday
- FINAL ELECTION RESULTS: Measure T passes in South Lake Tahoe