Smoking materials in bed cause South Lake Tahoe structure fire | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Smoking materials in bed cause South Lake Tahoe structure fire

Autumn Whitney

A structure fire at a duplex in South Lake Tahoe sent one occupant to the hospital while killing two dogs.

South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue responded to the 800 block of Paloma Avenue for a call received at 6:56 a.m. reporting a structure fire. According to South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue Chief Jeff Meston, the fire was knocked down 10 minutes after arrival before being fully under control at 7:45 a.m.

The adult woman who lived in unit A of the duplex, Marsha Byers, was transported to Barton Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. Two dogs perished. The couple who lived in unit B and their five dogs were able to get out of the building without harm.

Smoking materials in bed caused the fire, which got into the building’s structuring, destroyed unit A and caused significant damage to the back unit, according to Meston.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User