Teen dies after falling 50 feet while hiking in Lake Tahoe’s Emerald Bay
May 31, 2017
Despite extensive life saving efforts, a teenager died Wednesday after falling 50 feet while hiking in Emerald Bay, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office.
Law enforcement first got the call shortly after noon Wednesday, May 31, according to a press release from the sheriff’s office. A 14-year-old girl fell approximately 50 feet while hiking near the Vikingsholm Trail in Emerald Bay.
An off-duty law enforcement officer, who was recreating in the area, began CPR on the victim before on-duty officials arrived.
The victim sustained major injuries as a result of the fall, and extensive life saving efforts were conducted on scene, according to the press release. The victim, who was not identified, was ultimately transported to Barton Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.
No other information was provided.
Trending In: Trending
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- UPDATE: Chain requirements in effect on most Lake Tahoe area highways
- UPDATE: Douglas County homicides determined not related to El Dorado case
- Sierra Avalanche Center issues backcountry avalanche watch for Lake Tahoe region