Update: US 50 reopens at Echo Summit following brief closure for avalanche control | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Update: US 50 reopens at Echo Summit following brief closure for avalanche control

UPDATE 9:20 a.m.

U.S. 50 is once again open at Echo Summit after avalanche control led to a nearly two-hour traffic hold, the California Department of Transportation announced.

Visit the Caltrans website for the most up-to-date road conditions.

ORIGINAL POST: Traffic hold on US 50 near Echo Summit for avalanche control

Traffic is being held for avalanche control on U.S. 50 from Meyers to Chiappa, according to the California Department of Transportation.

There is no estimated time for reopening. Visit the Caltrans website for the most up-to-date road conditions.

The traffic hold comes amid a backcountry avalanche warning for the Tahoe Basin. The avalanche warning, which states avalanche danger is high in the backcountry, is in effect until 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Heavy precipitation is expected in the region to start out the week. A winter storm warning and wind advisory are in effect until 10 p.m. Monday, while a flood watch is in effect from then until 4 a.m. Wednesday.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User