El Dorado district attorney: Man convicted in South Lake Tahoe sexual assault case
November 9, 2017
A man who admitted to sexually assaulting a foreign exchange student in 2015 was found guilty of the crimes on Wednesday, according to the El Dorado County District Attorney’s Office.
Following a three-week trial, a jury found Manuel Ovidio Ramos-Munoz guilty of seven felony counts, including kidnapping for the purpose of committing a sexual assault, as well as six additional counts and numerous special allegations relating to the sexual assault of the victim, the DA announced Thursday.
The victim, a 22-year-old woman, had recently arrived in South Lake Tahoe from Macedonia to work for the summer in June 2015, according to the DA.
Ramos-Munoz admitted to forcing the victim, at knife point, from the area just outside her hotel room at the Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe into a secluded area where he sexually and physically assaulted her, the Tribune previously reported.
The victim suffered numerous injuries as a result of the assault.
Ramos-Munoz is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 19. He faces a maximum sentence of more than 150 years to life in prison.
Recommended Stories For You
Judge Kenneth Melikian ordered that Ramos-Munoz be held in El Dorado County jail with no bail until sentencing.
"Our hearts go out to the victim and her family,” District Attorney Vern Pierson stated in a press release. “We are pleased that we were able to secure justice on her behalf and that this defendant will spend the rest of his life in prison for this disturbing and horrific crime."
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Law enforcement searching for suspect in Stateline vehicle theft
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- South Lake Tahoe Police Department IDs detectives in officer-involved shooting
- Sierra House Elementary School classroom sustains ‘major damage’ in fire
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Kirkwood Mountain to open backside, Heavenly Mountain to open California side Saturday
- FINAL ELECTION RESULTS: Measure T passes in South Lake Tahoe