Comedy at The Improv with Howie Nave: Francisco Ramos and Dana Eagle perform this week at Lake Tahoe |

Comedy at The Improv with Howie Nave: Francisco Ramos and Dana Eagle perform this week at Lake Tahoe

Howie Nave
Special to Lake Tahoe Action
Francisco Ramos, pictured with Howie Nave, performs at The Improv this week.
Courtesy Photo |

Francisco Ramos

Comedian Francisco Ramos is making his second Tahoe appearance this weekend. Originally from Venezuela, Ramos moved to Washington, D.C. in 1994 and graduated from the University of Maryland a decade later with a double major in finance and international business. But after a short-lived desk job, he knew he was meant for comedy.

Given his list of accomplishments, Ramos made the right choice. Not only was he selected to perform in the CBS Diversity Showcase, where he was one of 12 entertainers chosen from a pool of 5,000 applicants, but he also appeared in NuvoTV’s show “Latino 101”″and was in the movie “Marmaduke” with Owen Wilson and George Lopez.

Ramos was one of the top 10 finalists in season nine of NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” made appearances on Comedy Central’s “@midnight,” played the character of Ramon on Netflix’s “Lady Dynamite” and won the COZI TV Comedy Search. He’s also been on the Byron Allen syndicated show “The First Family” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Ramos additionally voiced the lead marmoset in the movie “Rio,” which starred Anne Hathaway and Jesse Eisenberg.

The comedian also tours both domestically and overseas, including tours to Afghanistan performing for our men and women in uniform.

Dana Eagle

Dana Eagle is a happy gal, despite the fact that her new book is called “How to Be Depressed: A Guide” and that she sometimes opens her show with “Hi, my name is Dana Eagle and I’m a gay, bipolar Jew with a lazy eye.”

The country got to know Eagle when she was on NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” and she is a favorite up here. One of her strongest points is her offbeat view of life: “Studies now show that 80 percent of us suffer from depression and that the other 20 percent of you cause it.”

Her style is a mix of laid-back coolness with a touch of self-deprecation thrown in to keep her grounded. Eagle’s humor definitely hits the right nerves — she’s popular with college, nightclub, television and concert audiences alike. As she puts it, “I used to think I liked myself, but then I realized I was just using me to get to someone else.”

In addition to her stint on “Last Comic Standing,” Eagle has also appeared on Byron Allen’s “Comics Unleashed,” “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” Comedy Central and Showtime.

Eagle shot a pilot for E! Entertainment, another for ABC (with Jason Alexander) and was the host of Comcast’s “UNConventional.” She was also showcased in HBO’s US Comedy Arts Festival for her solo show, “Stones From Glass Houses” and then followed that up appearing in the series “Mood Disorders: A Light-Hearted Romp Through Crippling Depression.” Eagle was also part of the comedy troupe Three Hysterical Broads Off Their Medication.

I can’t explain why Eagle is so likable. Maybe because she was an outsider during her school years and didn’t really fit in, so comedy worked out as a way to cope: “When you don’t have a lot of friends growing up, the seesaw is just a really low bench.” Fortunately for us the New Jersey native found the perfect outlet and the rest of us get to benefit from her wicked sense of humor.

The Improv at Harveys takes place Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays at 9 p.m. Two shows are held on Saturdays at 8:30 and 10:30 p.m. Learn more at

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User